Press Release Regarding The Peace Spring Operation And Recent Developments23.10.2019
1. Turkey and the United States reached an agreement on 17 October 2019 regarding the northeast of Syria and as stipulated by that agreement Operation Peace Spring was paused for 120 hours. We have shown due sensitivity in fulfilling all the obligations we agreed to.
2. At the end of the 120 hour period the United States announced that withdrawal of PKK/YPG from the area has been completed
3. Within the scope of the agreement reached between the presidents of Turkey and the Russian Federation in Sochi on 22 October 2019 joint activities will start with the Russian Federation from Wednesday.
4. The Sochi agreement includes articles upholding Turkey’s border security and withdrawal of YPG terrorist elements 30 km. away from our border. At this stage, there is no further need to conduct a new operation outside the present operation area.
5. Turkey will never let a terror corridor be established to the south of her borders and our resolute fight against terrorism will continue.
6. So by creating a peace corridor in the area, we will ensure the safe and voluntary return of displaced Syrian brothers and sisters to their homes and lands.
Minister of National Defence Hulusi Akar Held A Telephone Call With U.S. Secretary of Defence Austin
Minister of National Defence Hulusi Akar Spoke at 'The Symposium on Problems in Turkish-Greek Relations and the Islands Sea'
Minister of National Defence Hulusi Akar met with the Chairman of the High Council of State of Libya Khalid al-Mishri paying a visit to Ankara